Sunday, September 23, 2007

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

A friend mentioned in passing about the BBC adaptation of John Le Carre's "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy". I was skeptical at first since I firmly believed that Le Carre's books are hard to dramatize on screen. But on hearing that Sir Alec Guinness plays the role of George Smiley I took the plunge. So I re-entered Smiley's world and his hunt for the the mole in the British secret service. I soon found myself whispering, "Control always said that there were three of them and Alleline" as I walked the company corridors :).

Sir Alec's decision to play the role brought in the cream of the Brit actors of that era into this series. So every character is portrayed beautifully. Guinness's himself as Smiley is breathtaking. He has captured every nuance of the spy with a certain panache and effortlessness. A must watch for every Le Carre fan out there.

Rating: * * * *

1 comment:

wenerd said...

This is one beauty.