Friday, March 21, 2008

Things we lost in the fire

Been a while since one has seen Benecio del Toro in action. The movie opens with the killing of a good husband/father and Halle Berry (the wife) is left to deal with the absence. She relucatantly approaches the junkie friend of her husbands - played by del Toro - for help, by volunteering to help him. So its all "how I can help you, but you cant help me, because I cant cry, I cant feel, I cant smile; but please help us" kind of thing from thereon. Interestingly, Halle Berry doesnt smile in the movie - while its del Toro that carries the movie and his friend's family forward. Quite a well made film, but it appears to be tied to a leash of some sort.

Rating: * * +

1 comment:

Rama Rama said...

Initially I kept waiting for Scully to show up asking, "What are you doing Mulder?" But soon Duchovny won me over and has done a fine job in his brief role.

Strangely I liked the fact that the film was restrained and not allowed to go over the top.

I am sure if this was made into a Mallu flick it would become a huge hit :)