Saturday, October 11, 2014

Gangs of Wasseypur


Was reminded of this * * * * movie when I saw Nawazuddin Siddiqui in The LunchBox recently. Plucked seemingly out of nowhere, NS plays Faizal Khan to perfection - a shadowy, chillum-smoking character who reluctantly transforms to become the lynchpin of one of the gangs involved in a bloody multi-generational tussle. GoW, the finest hour of Anurag Khashyap's career thus far, in a way is also a study of the evolution of India from independence to "modern" day. Outstanding soundtrack. And a brilliant cast of nobodies.

Rating: * * * *







3 comments:

Rama Rama said...

Deadly flick but I am not sure if I would have given it ****. Mr. Siddiqui is very impressive and I hope to see more of his movies. The soundtrack is stuck in my head and is firmly ensconced in my Saavan queue.

wenerd said...

What would you have given it?

Rama Rama said...

* * * +