Thursday, September 08, 2011

Four lions


Prompted by a colleague, I invited a few others to check out this film I knew very little about. An hour and a half later I walked out having watched a bloody funny film, a bloody good film. Cutting edge in its focus on staying away from the well trodden narrative (when it comes to suicide bombers and terrorists) and some excellent performances. Predictably, the others with me were not amused. Four lions is a dark look at a bunch of idiots in bumblefuck UK who happen to be aspiring suicide bombers. Initially I thought it was a spoof, like the Hotshots series or something. But instead it gradually develops and takes things to its logical, politically incorrect end. With some fantastic urdu swearing thrown in, this is one of the better films of 2011. 

Rating: * * *

No comments: